Imagine never hearing or using the phrase "starving artist" again. On average, it's estimated that only 3% of dancers that pursue dance careers will receive professional performance contracts. So what happens to the other 97% percent of pre-professional dancers? After graduation, some dancers and performers will attend college arts programs while other young performers spend a year or two auditioning or doing second company work. This can be a discouraging experience for pre-professional performers that are struggling to find opportunities that will pay them for their talent. Financial management and revenue generation is not a course covered in performance curriculums. Most performers haven't considered how their schedules and priorities look like when you are auditioning or in between jobs? What if you never get a performance contract after years of auditioning? Most performers and practitioners will fall into "practical" careers. What if you want to retire and return to performance art? It can be anxiety-inducing to live in a state of constant financial uncertainty, not knowing whether or when you will land a new gig or a contract... BAD Studios is here to change that.
We're building a community dance therapists, dance educators and pre-professional performers and we want you to be a part of it! Subscribe to our mailing list and join the BAD Studios Network today! Learn how to make money, manage finances and possibly receive management and/or agency representation.
1. Create a profile.
2. Pick your subscription.
3. Upload your dance and performance content.
4. Build your audience of art patrons.
5. Start making money!
Born and raised in Baltimore City, Tyde-Courtney Edwards is a graduate of the Baltimore School for the Arts Dance Department, Dance Entrepreneur, Social Innovator, Founding Director of Ballet After Dark, Creative Director of BAD Ballet and Founder/Chief Dance Officer of BAD Studios. She's a classically trained ballet dancer with over two decades training and performance experience. And like most pre-professional dancers, has never been able to secure a company contract. Her love for dance has allowed her to launch a variety of dance related opportunities for dancers local to Baltimore City. She's taking a leap into the future of dance and making sustainable income an option for pre-professional dancers everywhere.
In 2018, her work with Ballet After Dark caught the attention of consumer goods corporation, Procter & Gamble, and multi-talented artist, Queen Latifah. Ballet After Dark became the first feature subject of their latest initiative, The Queen Collective. Subsequently, a short documentary about our work was produced. Affectionately titled Ballet After Dark, the short documentary premiered at the 2019 Tribeca film festival. The film has streamed on Hulu, Amazon, Showtime and BET and is currently streaming on Discovery+. Ballet After Dark had its first network screening in 2020 on the BET Network and once again in 2021 on the OWN Network hosted by Oprah Winfrey. The film continues to circulate throughout film festivals.
Tyde-Courtney is the grand prize winner of the 2021 United Way Changemaker Challenge, the grand prize winner of the 2021 Johns Hopkins Social Innovation Lab, DANCE/USA fellow and Halcyon Inspires fellow. She was recently acknowledged as one of The Baltimore Sun's 25 Women To Watch and was recently featured in Forbes.
Sign up for access to videos!